An Owners Guide to Procurement
Date(s): May 2, 2023
Format: (Virtual) Instructor-led Course
Duration: One four-hour session
Time: 8:30am - 12:00pm
Price: $300.00 + HST
Overview: This course looks at how to determine if the correct project delivery method and contract pricing option have been selected. It then looks at the unique legal principles and requirements that apply to competitive construction procurement in Canada.
- Selecting the right delivery method and contract pricing option
- Traditional procurement approach
- RFP v. Call for Bids
- Contracting out of Contract A?
- Bid compliance and the Owner’s discretion
- Geotechnical information. Non-reliance provisions
- Bid selection and “privilege” clauses: Must it be the lowest compliant bid?
- Award criteria. Disclosure and application
- The duty of fairness
- All bids exceed Owner’s budget
- Post-bid negotiations
- Duty of honesty in contractual dealings
- Impact of trade agreements
CCDC Reference Documents:
- CCDC 10 – 2018 – A Guide to Construction Project Delivery Methods
- CCDC 23 – 2018 - A Guide to Calling Bids and Awarding Construction Contracts
- CCDC 00 – 2018 - Master Specification for Division 00 – Procurement and Contracting Requirements.
Who should attend: Owners, procurement authority representatives and consultants.
Facilitator: Michael Atkinson, LLB – Past CCA President
-Cancellations must be received no later than 10 business days prior to the course date to be eligible for a 75% refund of registration fees.
-No refunds will be issued after this date.
-If you register for the course and do not attend, you are liable for the full registration fee unless you cancel according to the terms stated above.
-If you are unable to attend after registering you may send a substitute up to and including the day of the course. Please provide a name and email address for name tag and records.
-CANS reserves the right to cancel any course and will, in such an event, provide a full refund of registrations fees. Every effort will be made to give registrants a reasonable notice of cancellation.
-No liability is assumed by the organization for changes in course dates, content, speakers, or venue.